#

The Mobile Muncher

By. Erich Pfeiffer (AKA Munch Master)

A mobile blog about our culinary adventures around the world. Just like the title says the mobile muncher. I will blog from anywhere we are munching on anything I think is munchworthy ( yes I made that up) news or blog material.

Portland Maine

By Munch Master

This is the first post in a series on Portland, Maine. Teresa and I spent the weekend in Portland. It was a dreary cold weekend. One you might see on a Maine postcard where the fog rolls in around a lighthouse (more on that later). We drove from NYC to Maine on Friday it was about a 5 hour trip, and one I highly recommend. Which is typically in the neighborhood of the amount of time where I don't really like driving anymore. We arrived approx midnight, so on Friday we didn't get to see anything but the Portland international Jetport. HA a "Jetport" guess they just had to be different it's just an airport people. The next morning we awake at around 7 to check out Chelsea's hockey game. They lost, oh well it wasn't a tournament so no worries. After the game we proceed to the Portland waterfront. Not really sure what we are in store for but it's Maine. What's the worst that can happen we get kidnapped by a giant lobster? Better bring a fork and butter just in case.
We arrive and start to wander around the wharfs. I am stunned to find, despite being the largest city in Maine it still feels like a sleepy fishing village. Every wharf lined with small fishing and lobstering boats. And right next to them are stacked the Lobster traps.
As we stroll we stumble on "Harbor Fish Market" a cool little seafood shop. It is a bit more pricey than the others we explored but their selection was also larger than the rest. Just look for the red door you can't miss it.
We saved the seafood shopping for Sunday. And I will save that for a later post :)
As we explore the water front better know as "Commercial St" we happen upon some pubs and a few great little gourmet and food stores. A couple of wine stores and even a shop that makes cool bags from recycled boat sails. Just tons of places to choose from to eat.
I didn't know until we got there, Maine was known for lighthouses. Makes sense I guess, rocky coastlines. If you have never seen a Maine light house in person. It's like standing in a postcard, and one of those things you don't realize you need to do it until you've done it. We checked out the Cape Elizabeth Head Light. Awe Inspiring to say the least. It's a shame it was soo cold. I would have loved to have spent more time there.



















I admit, I didn't think I would like Maine as much as I did. It is an easy place to fall in love with. As the license plate says "Vacationland". I could see spending a lot more time there. In fact we are planning a trip in warmer weather. And I can't wait to tell you all about the wonderful food we ate. Not sure which was more shocking the good food or the scenery. Guess you'll have to judge for yourself. Not to worry, I am going to review each and every one of the places we munched at in the next couple of posts. I just felt the sights of Maine were more than deserving of their own post. Please enjoy the images and be on the look out for the Munching from Maine posts ;)
































Later,
Munch Master

No Comment

Post a Comment